Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Enduring Valley of Light


My first breath was orange blossoms.
My second breath, drops of rain...

My eyes were let to feast on towering mountains and kind rolling hills. Green mountains, purple during dusk light, but shockingly pink after and before.
This explains why my hair went gray in that one spot.

All the shocking pink I had to endure.

This is what they fed me...can you imagine?

There were so many introductions: I was bid to leave my shoes inside so I could get to know dirt better. I was made to walk side-by-side with poison leaves, then sit through stories about how bridges were built with rainbows and where the ancient-ones left their beads and why the heart-rocks came to live in the river.

Oh, the river.

Where naked sun taught me to trust as I held boulders with supple arms and a curious young belly. Where cold water showed me to lift my feet and stay focused on maintaining stride. Where mineral springs enchanted me under the canopy of night, while lucid winds haunted whiny sycamore.

That's how they fed me.

That's how I love.

My first breath was orange blossoms.
My second breath, drops of rain...



14 comments:

  1. Wow...beautiful imagery, as always, Akka!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sweet Phoenix! And Narayan of course...you ARE a rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me tell you...it's very nice to read you in the morning..love the sensuous feel of the orange blossoms...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shockingly pink mountains. lol, Finally an explanation for my many spots of grey hair!
    Love your poem and to know how you love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your style is gentle and soothing. Beautiful writing. And thank you for visiting my place and leaving a lovely comment... :-)

    Nevine

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wonder the third...appreciation lying between the lines, an appreciation i could only hope all could embrace

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel blessed to know you, to read your beautiful words, and to be living in this same gorgeous valley you describe so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gawd, i love that. my first breath ... just heartfelt, ya know? thx.

    ReplyDelete
  9. and the breath I'd take if we were to meet...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You love in such a beautiful way my friend.
    Great picture...and is your hair really grey (bet not)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It really is! But just in one spot. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Insert your heart here: dizzy, dancing or otherwise.